Looking Back on 2010
As I sit down to write this post, I’m struck by how much I haven’t accomplished this year. I know that’s not really the spirit, but it sort of puts things into perspective. It’s so easy to get caught up in day-to-day life and forget to do the things that you get really excited about. I’ll be posting in a couple days about my New Years resolutions, and I promise that they’re going to be bigger and bolder than any I’ve ever made before. I’m lucky to be surrounded by such amazing and inspiring people who encourage me to live my dreams, and this year, 2011, I will kickstart everything. I hope!
The reason I want to write this post is to document all my successes/joys/loves/excitements/obsessions of the past year. I want to have some sort of logbook so that when I’m old and grey, I can be assured I didn’t waste the best years of my life.
So. What happened in 2010?
- I was featured on WordPress.com’s Freshly Pressed twice (!); once on April 21, 2010, and once on August 26, 2010. It was so exciting, surreal, and humbling.
- In March, I recommitted to vegetarianism and have not once looked back. I’m very proud of this.
- In March, In Limbo turned one! Happy Birthday.
- In June, I bought my first DSLR camera: my . It’s everything I could ever want. This was big because it was my first major purchase, and it’s given me so much joy ever since. I learn new things with it every day!
- In August, my family took a trip to New York City! Among other things, I ate the best pizza of my life and visited the New York Public Library, so I was extremely content. :)
- In September, I moved into my very first apartment! I can’t turn around in the kitchen, when I sit on the toilet my knees touch the sink, and there are noisy trucks outside 24/7, but I couldn’t be happier.
- In November, I attended TEDxMcGill in Old Montreal. It was so wonderful to be around such inspiring people, just talking about their absolutely wonderful ideas that are going to change the world. Even more humbling were the speakers who were my age: it motivated me to start working on some amazing ideas of my own!
Most Memorable Times:
- January: a wonderful afternoon skating on Beaver Lake pond on Mont Royal
- February: out all night at Nuit Blanche; moshing, riding the Ferris Wheel and running through the maze like a five year old in Old Port
- March: smoking shisha at a bar for the first time; helped my Jewish friends throw a seder!
- April: having dinner with all of my new school friends at Le Commensal; getting customized cupcakes delivered from my Mommy for my birthday!; karaokeing & laughing with friends
- May: going to see Mamma Mia with my family; seeing live at the ACC!; helping Kelcie’s family with landscaping; having my mom’s best friend’s family visit from England
- June: chaperoning my sister’s team for Relay for Life, Kelcie’s backyard birthday party; my other sister’s graduation ceremony (she was so beautiful!)
- July: a weekend spent saunaing, tanning, eating and reading with my five best friends at a beautiful island cottage; seeing Lady Gaga live at the ACC!!; seeing Jersey Boys with my family; staying at a cottage with my family; making tempura with my mom
- August: Toronto Zoo & with my famjam
- September: cooking my first meals at my new apartment; partying at a gay club for the first time; going to a gourmet chocolate restaurant
- October: driving my mum to the airport to go climb Mt. Kilimanjaro!; Halloween :)
- November: going to my first professional hockey game (Habs vs Sens!); TEDxMcGill; getting lilies from my guy; first motorcycle ride!
- December: coming home to the coziest house in the world; being done exams; spending time with family & friends; reading up a storm!
- French onion soup with my roomie
- Chef on Call with the boyfriend while watching Up
- Sweet potato fry poutine
- The nachos @ Lola Rosa
- Restaurant bruschetta with the most beautiful piece of goat cheese imaginable on it
- Creamy pasta with asparagus and grape tomatoes
- Quinoa salad!
- A summery meal of sweet potato fries, watermelon tossed with red onions, and potato salad
- Mushroom bruschetta at Bridges Restaurant
- Margherita pizza at Lombardi’s in NYC
- Deep-friend mushroom burger & chocolate milkshake at the Shake Shack, NYC
- Sweet potato latkes with Balkan yogurt, pomegranate seeds, green onions and apple sauce
- Stuffed shells.. omg
- Fried tempeh in golden mushroom gravy + mashed potatoes, stuffing, green beans and ‘orange stuff’ for Christmas dinner. MMM.
Books I Read:
Lullabies for Little Criminals*, Shutter Island, Sway, Freakonomics, Nickel and Dimed, The Great Gatsby, What the Dog Saw, Eating Animals*, A Fraction of the Whole*, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, Her Fearful Symmetry, Sarah’s Key, Jesus Land, Prep*, Waiter Rant, Citizen Girl, Eat Pray Love, The Sharper Your Knife the Less You Cry, Gods Behaving Badly, A Million Little Pieces, The Bell Jar, Orange is the New Black, My Stroke of Insight, The Man of My Dreams*, American Wife, Classy, Cloud Atlas*, The Quality of Life Report, Unhinged, Skinny Bitch, Men and Dogs, Within Our Reach, Diary, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society, The Te of Piglet, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie*, Quantum Wellness, The Weed That Strings the Hangman’s Bag, The Book of Awesome, Crazy Salad, Summer at Tiffany, Live the Life You Love, The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, Never Let Me Go*, Gone With the Wind*, Brave New World*, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Hour I First Believed, The Girl Who Played With Fire, Holidays on Ice, Room.
* = favourite
- Movies: The Black Swan, Inception, Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows, Julie & Julia, The Darjeeling Limited, Easy A, Toy Story 3
- Music: Lady Gaga, Mumford & Sons, Kanye West’s My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Glee, Wicked, She & Him, The White Panda, The Avett Brothers, Taylor Swift, Jason Mraz
- TV: The Big Bang Theory, Glee, Raising Hope, Gossip Girl, How I Met Your Mother, House Hunters International, and I’m just getting into Dexter now!
- Websites: The Pioneer Woman Cooks, Joy the Baker, White Hot Truth, Gala Darling, Crazy Sexy Life, The Bloggess, The Trephine, Marc and Angel Hack Life, Desserts for Breakfast, Zen Habits
- Buys: My beautiful spring trenchcoat, my Nikon D90, my head massager from Chapters ($4.99 for the blissiest bliss you’ve ever felt), my Filofax!
- Simple Pleasures: avocado toast, Coco Mademoiselle, squared Moleskines & fancy pens, writing this blog, grocery shopping on Saturday afternoons, making dinners with friends, bubble baths, Starbucks.
- Best Habits: twice a week yoga for most of the year, journal writing almost every night, wearing a watch, always had a book on the go, cooking for myself, drinking green drink, saying affirmations, making time for my creativity.
- Gifts: Kindle (more on this soon!!), flowers, handmade wooden jewelry box from my Grandfather, signed copy of What the Dog Saw, cookie cutters in the shapes of lab equipment (beakers & test tubes), the best books ever, an adorable teapot.. I’m so lucky.
I had a wonderful year. 2010 was the year where I really came into my own: I could literally feel the shift inside of me. I became my own strong, independent, confident person and everything changed. This was the year I got really into blogs and blogging, and the content I’ve read online this year has changed my life in more ways than I could possibly count. I started yoga, which calmed and motivated me, and I slowly got stronger than I’d been in a long time (body & mind baby). I explored meditation, veganism, nutrition, cooking, spirituality, love, life. I feel like this past year has been the real start to the rest of my life. If my 2010 were a graph, it would chart like this:
..except that the months on the bottom would be shifted. For me, the disillusionment occurred from May-September, then the rejuvenation, reflection and so much anticipation for the months to come started in October. Today, I am happy, healthy, focused, driven, excited and grateful for the life that I have. I worked hard to diminish my anxiety this year, and I am reaping the benefits big time.
So thank you, 2010, for teaching me more than I would have thought possible. And a word to 2011 – I’m coming for you! My hunger for life is stronger than ever, and 2011 will be a year I live to the absolute fullest. I’m going to do it up big: big dreams, big fears, big chances, big changes, big scary awesome perfect crazy BIG. Stay tuned!
Happy New Year!!