Hello beautiful people of the world, it is I, come back from the darkness of non-cyberspace to salute you from my brand new *apartment*!!
I feel like Gandalf.
Not like, in this image per se, but I just really like this image so I used it. I’m talking about when Gandalf fights the Balrog and then re-emerges from the depths of underneath the Bridge of Khazad-dûm as the superior Gandalf the White. That’s how I feel. Nerds? Who’s with me!?
Literally, my time without internet was unbearable! The amount of time I spent trying to steal other people’s internet is abominable and the impatience I demonstrated while waiting for the whistling, self-talking internet installation frenchman to finish setting up the internet was atrocious. I was in severe pain! My mom mocked me for this pain. Whatever mom, you don’t understand.
HOWEVER. I am back and better than ever. Stephanie the White or what-have-you. Here’s what you should know about my time away:
- I moved into my new apartment!! It has some wonderful features such as white walls, high ceilings and hardwood floors. Also light. It has light! It has some less-than-wonderful-yet-still-liveable features like a tiny bathroom, a tiny kitchen and the fact that it backs onto an alley which is populated by several garbage truck guys every few mornings who talk and back their trucks up almost incessantly with that annoying beeping sound..yeesh.
- I love my roommate! We have had some marvelous talks about life, the universe and everything and are settling in quite well so far. We’ve eaten dinner together every night as of yet, and we’re starting to have a little roomie-family energy going on. It’s great. :)
- I started school! Well, that was an overwhelming day. Somehow my schedule only works if I have all my classes on the same day (two of them overlap, I want to cry sometimes when I think about it..) and then labs on two other afternoons of the week and Wednesdays completely off. It’s messed up, but whatever. Three of the four classes I can actually go to are in the same classroom, which is situated approximately 100 miles up the bleeping’ mountain at the most remote campus building that we own. No, I am not joking. Yes, I have to climb up to it twice a day, Tuesdays and Thursdays, once at 8 am and once at 1 pm. For similar experiences, please read this website.
- I like my classes! I’ve only had their introductory lectures so far, but I am excited about them already. I’m taking lots of psych courses (yay!) which means lots of readings, but lots of fascinating information too. I don’t know many people in my classes yet, since all of my school’s science program is currently majoring in physiology, but whatever. That will hopefully change. I can’t be the only science student majoring in psych, right? Right. Anyways, I’ve been wheeling and dealing with money and textbooks through our classifieds website and I kind of feel like a drug dealer. I’m meeting people in sketchy places with envelopes full of cash or plastic bags filled with the ‘goods’ aka my old calculus textbook. Okay so maybe not as badass as a drug dealer. Still sketchy and thrilling! I have almost all of mine now, and if I sell my last textbook from last year, my textbooks from this year will only have cost me FIFTY DOLLARS and I will have saved almost 300. Seriously, if you have a classifieds website, check it out. You can save a ridiculous amount of money!
- I’ve been loving cooking! I find chopping things up and creating a meal is quite soothing. Prepare to see several blog posts about my cooking adventures in the near future. Apart from slicing my thumb open with a bread knife, there aren’t any battle wounds and I only left the stove on once so far! Success! Living and learning people. When roomie and I were at Chapters yesterday (yep, we’re both obsessed) I was flipping through Miss Dahl’s Voluptuous Delights (on my wishlist times a thousand!) and was so inspired for fall. It was our first fall day yesterday, and I wore my jeans and trench to great happiness. Anyways, her whole fall section of the cookbook was so nourishing and comforting, I became obsessed with lazy weekend food like french onion soup..mmm.
And now, but a few photos of the past week or so.
As you can see I am having loads of fun. I’m also pretty homesick, kinda scared about the fact that I have a midterm a week starting in 3 weeks and going all the way until finals, and nervous about living with someone else for the first time. But I’m getting through it day by day and eventually it’ll start to feel more natural.
As always, I love y’all!